October 31, 2014 / by admin / American History / No Comments

Etowah County (AL) (Images of America)

Etowah County (AL) (Images of America)

Bob Scarboro, Mike Goodson

Language: English

Pages: 128

ISBN: 0738516244

Format: PDF / Kindle (mobi) / ePub


Drawing from, among other sources, the collection of famed photographer Adolph Lebourg, a French immigrant who traveled to Alabama with a circus, Scarboro and Goodson combine wonderful images with insightful text to provide a unique look at the county's heritage. Especially evident in Lebourg's photographs is a passion for motorcycles, providing a great point of interest for many of the book's images. Etowah County includes such points of interest as the Kyle Home, which once stood on the present site of the Etowah County Courthouse, the home of Alabama Power Company founder W.P. Lay, and

several of the county's early movie theaters. Many local businesses and industries are highlighted in the early years of their existence. Also included are glimpses of such local events as parades, sporting events, and the beautiful Nocallula Falls. Whether one is a longtime resident familiar with all the area has to offer, or a newcomer eager to learn more of the county's heritage, Etowah County is a wonderful look at days gone by.

Haven of Liberty: New York Jews in the New World, 1654-1865 (City of Promises, Vol. 1)

Abigail and John LP: Portrait of a Marriage

The Marquis: Lafayette Reconsidered

Early Ontario (Images of America)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

was later raised to 8 miles per hour. The early automobiles in the area were International Harvester motor buggies. Dr. M. P. Hughes, a prominent Gadsden physician, could be seen traveling throughout the city making house calls in his two-cylinder Maxwell. Hughes was also the owner of another early automobile called a Chandler. The automobile quickly brought a new mode of commerce to the city. Goods could now be transported greater distances more efficiently, thus bringing citizens closer

was later raised to 8 miles per hour. The early automobiles in the area were International Harvester motor buggies. Dr. M. P. Hughes, a prominent Gadsden physician, could be seen traveling throughout the city making house calls in his two-cylinder Maxwell. Hughes was also the owner of another early automobile called a Chandler. The automobile quickly brought a new mode of commerce to the city. Goods could now be transported greater distances more efficiently, thus bringing citizens closer

replace this structure during the early 1960s. Today this building, located at the corner of Sixth and Broad Streets, houses several government offices and agencies. The corner of Fifth and Broad Streets was home to First National Bank. This bank was popular in downtown Gadsden during the late 19th century and early 20th century. This photograph shows Broad Street during the days before the streets were paved. The brick pavers that were originally used to pave the streets are shown at the

is one of the many beautiful Gadsden churches. The first sanctuary was completed on July 9, 1881, on a site donated by Col. R. B. Kyle at Sixth and Chestnut Streets. Notable founders of this church were Maj. G. D. Rand, John Plunkett, James Fitzgerald, and Pat Walsh. This is Gadsden’s Broad Street looking east during the early 1950s. Many local stores are shown here in the 400 block, including Ike Saks and Hicks Shoe Store on the south side of the street and Harris Men’s shop and Hoffman’s

Drive-In Theatre was originally known as the Grove Drive-In. This theater, located in the Alabama City area of Gadsden, opened in July 1949 and was in operation until 1957. The theater was completely remodeled several years later and became known as the Rebel. With the coming of videocassette recorders and movie rentals, the popularity of the drive-in theater faded. Today the Village Chapel Funeral Home is located on this site at 101 Van Del Boulevard. Dwight Square was a very important

Download sample

Download